The winners of the annual Banjo Paterson Writing Awards announced at the Orange Readers and Writers Festival on Saturday 5 August are:
- Timothy Guy, of Cowra, for his Short Story Anna
- Jonathon Cant, of Sydney, for his Contemporary Poem Thunderstorm at Newton Boyd
- Kaitlyn Rutledge, of Woodstock, for Blood Runs Faster Than Water
- Ebony Inman, of Mullion Creek, for We’re Gonna Be Okay
- Jenna Poore, of Bendena Gardens, for The Journey Through The Simpson Desert
The Banjo Paterson writing Awards were established in 1991 to honour Banjo Paterson, a great Australian writer, and favourite son of Orange, with a competition to encourage Short Story or Poetry writing with Australian content. The call for entries is announced each year on 17 February, the anniversary of Banjo’s Birthday.
Congratulations to all who entered the competition and the 2023 winners. the Short Story and Contemporary Poetry winners take home cash prizes of $2,000 each.
Keep up the writing everyone!